The Word from Main Street

Market Update - Week of May 18th, 2015:  

Reporting for the 2nd quarter is down to a trickle with most companies having reported earnings by now. The good news is that the results weren’t as bad as expected. Earnings grew at a rate of 0.1% versus an expected loss of -4.7%. Granted, these were ugly earnings at best, but more importantly, the results were a significant improvement from what had been expected. Overall, it was an 4.8% improvement. As noted by analyst Ivan Martchev, “earnings estimates were cut too aggressively at the beginning of the quarter so by the time most S&P 500 components reported, investors were relieved to see +0.1%.” However, at present time, slow revenue growth seems to be characteristic in the world’s major economies. Overseas, we see China cutting short term interest rates trying to stimulate an economy attempting to stay at, or above, 7% GDP, a far cry from their double digit growth of previous decades. Meanwhile, Europe has seriously gotten on the quantitative easing bandwagon as Mario Draghi has committed to the ECB's vast stimulus efforts for as long as it takes.

So analysts in the US, despite “improved earnings reports” for the 2nd quarter, still project low earnings growth and negative revenue growth for the remainder of 2015. Earnings growth is not expected to return until the 4th quarter of 2015 and revenue growth not until the 1st quarter 0f 2016. These weaknesses are reflective of deflationary environments, precisely what the Federal Reserve is trying to avoid. This is why a rate hike in the U.S., in this global deflationary environment, just doesn’t seem likely. Although the Federal Reserve has been threatening for some time to have at least a single increase in 2015, they are very afraid of upsetting the economic apple cart. The Feds fear that increasing short interest rates could reduce retail/corporate lending, stifle the tenuous recovery and send the economy into another recession.

While these events are certainly interesting and most evident to Main Street Wealth Advisor, we continue to emphasize our presence in U.S. stock as they still remain the best game in town until our leading indicators tell us otherwise.   

If you, or someone you know, would like to be added to the weekly market update, please click here to provide us with the e-mail address(es).


CAR approval #0515-04729

Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Technical analysis is only one form of analysis. Investors should also consider the merits of Fundamental and Quantitative analysis when making investment decisions. Indices are unmanaged and you cannot invest directly in an index. Stocks offer long-term growth potential, but may fluctuate more and provide less current income than other investments. An investment in the stock market should be made with an understanding of the risks associated with common stocks, including market fluctuations. Investing in foreign securities presents certain risks not associated with domestic investments, such as currency fluctuation, political and economic instability, and different accounting standards. This may result in greater share price volatility. Advisory services are not designed for excessively traded or inactive accounts, and may not be suitable for all investors.  Please carefully review the Wells Fargo Advisors advisory disclosure document for a full description or our services. The minimum account size for this program is $50,000 to $200,000. Wells Fargo Advisors Financial Network did not assist in the preparation of this report, and its accuracy and completeness are not guaranteed. The opinions expressed in this report are those of the author(s) and are not necessarily those of Wells Fargo Advisors/Wells Fargo Advisors Financial Network or its affiliates. The material has been prepared or is distributed solely for information purposes and is not a solicitation or an offer to buy any security or instrument or to participate in any trading strategy. Additional information is available upon request.